Julie Solberg. The C.E.O Child Africa
Julie Solberg’s dream about helping children in Africa became the reality and today is the NGO Child Africa. Julie grew up in Norway, where she met her husband Rino Solberg. After sponsoring about 10 children in Uganda for some time Julie and Rino Solberg decided to include their family and friends, in order to make a greater impact and help more children
In 1991, the couple started “Solberg Children Help Organization”, a private entity. All donations given by sponsors went directly to the children to pay for school fees and books. There was no money for administration, so the Solberg’s worked together with Julie’s family and friends in Uganda; everybody’s time was given on voluntarily.
All work was dependant on the people’s good hearts and will to help.
In 2002, Child Africa’s first university student graduated from Makerere University in Kampala. Aisha Kugunda was sponsored through Child Africa for almost 10 years before she graduated. In 2011, three more Child Africa children graduated from Universities in Uganda. The Child Africa sponsorship program helps children from kindergarten until a qualification is obtained, be it at university or vocational college. Thus, giving a child a future and the ability to help their family and fellow countrymen.
There still remain a large number of disadvantaged children needing an education, food and help in both Kabale and Mpigig regions. Our aim in the next 3 - 6 years is to build a new school for 2000 children in Kabale and a second school for 2000 children at the Equator in Uganda. These will be built in phases according to funds available
Today, the school is known as Child Africa Junior School has more than 300 children and approximately 150 pupils are accommodated in the boarding school. Eleven deaf children are fully integrated in the school and they have made great progress physically, psychologically, socially and culturally. These positive results led to the decision that up to 20% of Child Africa school places will be offered to children with hearing impediments. The aid totally inclusion in everyday school life; the other 80% of pupils and teachers at Child Africa Schools learn sign language
|Copyright 2018. Website by Betterglobegroup.com. All rights reserved.|